Welcome to SMG Swiss Marketplace Group AG
We are a pioneering network of online marketplaces and a leading European digital company that simplifies people's lives with forward-looking products.
SMG came together following the merger of Scout24 Switzerland and TX Markets (part of TX Group) in 2021. Our Real Estate Business Unit includes well-known brands such as homegate and ImmoScout24 . We help more than 200k users to search for their next home every day. Our state of the art infrastructure serves 2.2 million daily page views, using AWS Cloud using serverless technologies and modern front-end frameworks.
As Engineering Manager in one of our 12 feature teams, you are nurturing the working environment for 5 to 6 engineers.
Your ultimate goal is to give them the space and safety they need to thrive, individually and as a whole. They will understand what needs to be built and why, with technically feasible approaches that balance effort and delivery well.
Because you empower them, they will contribute their best ideas and find solutions you couldn't have found on your own.
You will manage stakeholders and provide guidance for your team to focus on what's important.
We foster a blameless culture, learn from mistakes and assume the best intentions. Being a role model is very important, especially in managerial positions, so we expect you to listen carefully and self-reflect, but also to provide feedback – favourable or unfavourable.
You can count on a product manager and designer dedicated to your team.
With your engineering manager peer group, you'll also drive topics of great importance at the company level.
- You support your engineers with their career and find ways to help them grow
- With your product manager and designer, you provide the guidance your team needs to build products that our customers love
- You are accountable for your team’s choices and challenge them if needed
- You define and improve internal processes, constantly striving for improvements
- As part of the engineering leadership team, you contribute to cross-cutting concerns like the hiring process, site reliability engineering, or the definition of OKRs
- Being a leader, you help the organisation through periods of change and transformation. You explain management decisions and make sure that feedback from your team gets heard.
- We strongly believe that a manager cannot be a coder at the same time.
Our tech stack:
- Frontend is implemented with Vue.js / React, with Typescript as the language of choice. It consists of a mix of client-side, server-side, pre-rendered and hybrid web apps.
- Backend is written in Node.js and Typescript, following a serverless and microservices architecture in a cloud-based environment using AWS, defined in CDK. Our main services leverage Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS and S3 among others.
- Monitoring is done mainly through Datadog and Sentry.
- Codebase and services are documented using Backstage.
- You have a proven track record as a senior engineer.
- You've got strong leadership and managerial experience
- You are a good listener and enjoy working with people.
- You are familiar with parts of our tech stack.
Nice to haves
- You have worked in a start-up and know what it means to ship fast.
- During your time as a leader, you also experienced the difficult sides of the job.
- You are an expert in either Node/Typescript or AWS
- You are dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse company, where everybody is respected and recognised. We're curious to hear about what you did in that regard in the past.
Benefits you’ll love:
- 6 weeks of holidays (with the possibility to buy up to 10 additional days)
- 40-hour week (flexitime with a cap at 45 hours 🡲 We take work-life balance seriously)
- 4 months' notice after the probationary period
- SBB Half-Fare Card
- You travel 1st class between SMG sites in Switzerland
- 18 weeks maternity and 6 weeks paternity leave (also in case of adoption)
- Professional accident and supplementary insurance (100% covered by SMG)
- No fixed office days (you work where you feel most comfortable)
- Independent counselling centre for personal and psychological problems
- Gender-neutral fair pay with clearly defined career profiles
- Choose your hardware (Mac, Windows or Linux + 2 monitors for home)
- Choose your mobile phone (iPhone, Samsung, Pixel)
Apply today. We are looking forward to meeting you!
SMG Swiss Marketplace Group Ltd. is a pioneering network of online marketplaces and cutting-edge European digital company that simplifies people’s lives with innovative products.
SMG Swiss Marketplace Group Ltd. provides customers with the best tools to meet their life decision needs. The portfolio includes Real Estate (ImmoScout24, Homegate, Immostreet.ch, home.ch, Publimmo, Acheter-Louer.ch, CASASOFT, IAZI), Automotive (AutoScout24, MotoScout24, CAR FOR YOU), General Marketplaces (anibis.ch, tutti.ch, Ricardo) and Finance & Insurance (FinanceScout24). The company was founded in November 2021 by TX Group AG, Ringier AG, La Mobilière and General Atlantic.